The SCSLF board will award small grants in varying amounts to provide assistance to those in the field of youth library services (children and young adults) to support their personal learning efforts. These grants may be used for continuing education such as conference or workshop registration, books for YS coursework or training classes, membership in professional youth services associations, among other efforts. The Dr. Pat Feehan Youth Services Grant Program is designed to provide financial aid for any purpose reasonably designed to improve and develop skills in youth library services. The amount of the award will vary depending on the proposed activity.
An applicant must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for the grant:
- Be employed in a SC public library;
- Have successfully passed the library’s probationary period;
- Be working with children or teens;
- Not have received a grant in the past three years;
- and Submit a timely and complete application.
*if circumstances prevent a recipient from using the grant, it reverts to the jury; however, the recipient remains eligible to apply another year.
How To Apply
Submit one application package with the following items:
- A complete, legible application request in the form of a letter or personal statement, containing all pertinent information regarding:
- Who is requesting and why (what is your objective);
- What is the professional development opportunity, where and when it will be held, and who is sponsoring/teaching/presenting;
- How much are you requesting (submit a small, clear budget);
- How do you see yourself applying this new learning to an "on-the-job" activity?
- A letter of recommendation from your director or direct supervisor, that comments on your potential to contribute to the self-enrichment of the employee and/or of the library, and address your need for the grant; and
- A current resume.
Applicants have four opportunities a year to submit a complete application package. Applications will be received by the SC State Library Foundation Board: January 15; April 15; July 15; and, October 15 of each year.
Applications may be submitted by mail to:
SC State Library Foundation Board
Columbia SC 29202.
Applications may be sent electronically by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.